Thursday, December 16, 2010

Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen

August 26, 1789
I have been very busy lately. I am still working as a Minister Plenipotentiary. Additionally, I have been helping my friend Lafayette and his fellows. They wanted to create a document to declare their rights and freedom from the absolute monarch.
They came to my house a few times, asking for facility to work at and advice. We shared meals, discussed about the philosophes, Declaration of Independence, and American Constitution. It was my pleasure and honor to provide facility and assistance to Lafayette and his friends.
After a course of hard work, finally, the Declaration of Rights of the Man and the Citizen was adopted by National Assembly today.


The document emphasizes all individuals' equality and liberty, supported by ideas of philosophes and documents such as Rousseau and Voltaire, Declaration of Independence, and American Constitution. The document expresses desire for equal rights for all men, equal treatment to all men before law, freedom of thoughts, religious toleration, and freedom of publication.
I sincerely honor and congratulate my friend Lafayette and fellow revolutionaries for their passion to spread equality and liberty, great amount of effort to make changes, and completion of this very valuable and precious document. This remarkable day shall be remembered by all Frenches.

3 comments:

  1. Your thoughts of liberty and equality sound wonderful! We dream of independence here in France and equality with the whites! Revolution in Haiti broke out recently, but I believe that not much is going to change, though I strongly believe that race should not matter. I hope our government would realize how great you country's constitution is.
    -Toussaint L'Ouverture

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Thomas continue to trade with Britain and we shall prosper together. Napoleon has blocked our trade routes to continental Europe. Napoleon's only hope of defeating Great Britain is that way. I look forward to doing business with you and if you don't then let's just say it wont't be good.
    -Duke of Wellington

    ReplyDelete