Thursday, December 16, 2010

Letter to Napoleon Bonaparte

June 1, 1804
Dear Napoleon Bonaparte,
First of all, I would like to let you know that I admire how you have been living your life. Despite your fellows' hatred and differences with people around you, you worked very hard to educate yourself, and rose quickly. Also, I know that you have an outstanding leadership.
Finally, the French Revolution was ended under your control after decade-long constant changes and chaos.
It was an intelligent idea to establish the Civil Code, finally fulfilling Frenches' desire to have one same law system of every people. But more than anything, I was thrilled to know that economic problem in France is getting solved. I remember seeing Louis XVI having a difficult time because of the financial crisis in 1780's, when I worked with him as a minister.
I was very pleased to know that you created new group of aristocrats, primarily based on merits and talents, rather than social background and wealth. All people should be judged by their abilities, so every individual can be treated equally.
Speaking of equality, I am concerned about your recent political activity. I have heard that you have declared yourself as an emperor and calling yourself Napoleon I. Are you attempting to restore the old regime to French society?
As an author of Declaration of Independence, a president of United States, and one who cherishes memories from France, therefore cares about France, I disapprove your attempt to be an absolute ruler of France.
Thomas Jefferson, President of United States of America

4 comments:

  1. Hello Mr Jefferson,
    I realized you admire my husband's work but you wont neccessarily agree with his ideas about crowning himself emperor. I must say i disagree with you. With the horrible Louis's as kings, they were not loved by their people. They did not attempt for reforms or even tried to accept their demands. My husband on the other hand, knows what's best for the people, listens to them, and is a brilliant general. Therefore, he has the right and ambition to be emperor.

    With all due respect,
    Josephine Bonaparte, Empress of France

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with your point of view on Napoleon, Jefferson. He is a tyrant! I had admired him before for his courageous and god-like deeds, such as claiming more land for France and using his skills to benefit his country just as an admirable man should! But as soon as I heard news of his crowning of himself as Emperor of France, I began to loathe Napoleon instantaneously. I had written a piece called the Eroica or Symphony No.3 which I had dedicated to Napoleon before his treachery. However, after he deceived me with his scornful actions of placing the French crown on his own head, I grabbed a knife and slashed out Napoleon's name on my own priceless manuscript. Although my way of expressing my hate and despise towards Napoleon may be a bit harsher than your's, I believe we both have the same ideas and concepts in mind about that worthless ruler of France.

    Sincerely,
    Ludwig van Beethoven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir Thomas Jefferson,
    I fully agree with your opinions about Napoleon Bonaparte. Although I might not go so far as to oppose him.. It is true that Napoleon has accomplished much during a short span time. However, he did not work alone to achieve this. Napoleon, Ducos, and I have collaborated together to execute my political plans of organization. Aye, it brings back good memories to recall the day when we brought down the Directory...

    - Abbe Sieyes

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete